Although we listed best Garden Tillers for your choice, we recommend your is Earthwise TC70001 11-Inch 8.5-Amp Corded Electric Tiller. Follow the links to access the best smartphones under $400 or $200.
This buyers guide details everything you need to know about the Best Garden Tillers.
Best Garden Tillers
First, because of the current rating (12 amps) I purchased a 12/3 extension cord with unit. Most extension cords will not handle the current for this device. I would highly recommend you do same. The unit comes in 3 pieces and assembles quickly. The weight of unit is manageable and should not present issue with most users. To start with I would like to say I was quite impressed. Although my yard is not very rocky it made short work of cutting thru the weeds and hard packed soil. I started with the adjustment at the greatest depth and quickly realized it was to much. The unit easily dug a hole and buried itself.
After readjustment I found a setting that dug a depth to about 4 to 6 inches. The unit was very manageable at this depth. Deeper depths require more effort to get thru the “mounded” soil it creates.
When the unit did encounter rocks it easily pulled it them out. Several where in the 4″-5″ range. I would estimate that it took about 45 to 60 minutes to do the 50′ x 50′ area. I did not work continuously, I stopped on occasion to allow the unit to cool and rake to the area previously done. I allowed the unit to cool only because of others comments that they “burnt” out there unit.Quite honestly I think it would have been fine to do this entire area without stopping. However I should note that long weeds/grass do wrap around the shaft. You should clear them occasional to keep them from cutting into the transmission seal and/or binding the unit up. I suspect this may have been the cause of the previously mentioned reports of units burning up. I would also add others suggested using hose clamps at the handle connections to make the unit more rigid. I tightened my handles with a wrench and found this not to be necessary.
- I gave it five stars not to indicate its the best tiller ever just that it performed at or better than expected/advertised.
I purchased this tiller a little over a month ago for my small, 16 ft. x 16 ft. vegetable garden. I waited until now to write my review because I wanted to have a really good “feel” for the product before I posted my thoughts.
I had already turned the ground in my garden, which had been lawn area for years, with a garden fork, but the thick grass and roots would not allow the ground to loosen and break up. I ended up with a 16 x 16 patch of grassy clumps that I couldn’t rake or plant. To break up the clumps I tried various cultivators: A garden weasel ended up all tangled with grass and roots and wouldn’t turn. My Garden Claw just loaded up with the grassy clumps. I even tried sharpening my hoe and using it to hack at the clumps to break them up–a very labor intense and slow process. I was at my wits end. I began to realize that the only way I was going to be able to loosen the soil effectively was going to be with a roto-tiller.
I figured I’d need to rent one at a local rental center, but when I learned it was going to cost me $80.00 for a half day, I started looking for other alternatives.(we have written a guide about Impact Wrench and chainsaw)
I came across this Earthwise TC70001 11-Inch 8-1/2 Amp Electric Tiller/Cultivator at Amazon.com. The first thing that caught my eye was that all but one of the reviews were 5-stars, and the only one that wasn’t at that time was 4-stars. If not for that, I don’t think I would have given this machine a second look. And even then, after reading all the reviews, I still doubted that a light-weight electric roto-tiller could have enough power to do what I needed it to do. But I figured, what did I have to lose? Even if it didn’t work for breaking up the clumps this year, I’d still be able to use the machine to till the garden in future years after the soil had been prepared the first time. So I decided to give it a try.First of all, I was amazed at the power it has. It effortlessly churned out rocks bigger than my fist. Needless to say, it chewed through the grass clumps and roots with ease. I did stop a few times to untangle debris from the tines, but it was easy to remove and in just a few minutes I’d be up and running again. The power is more than adequate. It digs through the soil, even Michigan clay, without bogging down, leaving a loose, mealy planting bed in its wake. I tilled the entire garden twice–first north and south, then east and west. The whole job took about 3 hours. I’ve since used the tiller in other areas of my yard like flower beds and areas of the lawn that needed leveling. I am truly impressed with the results.The main drawback that I see is the machine’s light weight. When it hits something solid in the ground, like a root or large rock, it wants to jump and buck like a rodeo bull. You just need to be ready for it when it happens.
Overall, though, it is very easy to control.For just about 50% more than the cost of renting one of those gas monsters at our local rental center for a half-day, I was able to purchase this tiller that I will be able to use for many years to come, not only in my vegetable garden, but my flower beds as well.
1. High amperage – this translates to High Power. More than enough power for a small tiller.
2. Low cost – makes this tiller a tremendous value.
3. Well made.
4. Simple to use.
1. Light weight – so if you hit something solid in the ground, like a large root or rock, the machine tends to jump violently. Not a huge disadvantage, however, as long as you are aware of this tendency and pay attention.
2. Narrow width – limits the effective usage of this tiller to smaller gardens. But this can also be an advantage–you can easily use this machine to till between rows in your garden and other narrow areas where a larger tiller won’t fit.
Digs well. Tines holding up pretty well unless you hit a few stones with them. I had to unbend the tines. Biggest complaint is the difficulty trying not to run over the cord going back and forth on paths. Tolerated extensive digging without burning out motor.
- Powerful 8 Amp Motor for reliable results with an easy electric start eliminates the need for mixing gas and hard to manage recoil cords
- (4) 8-inch forward rotating tines for highest performance when digging into earth
- Adjustable tilling width of 8.25″ to 10″ for quick reliable tilling. Assembly details: Assembly required, no tools needed
- Adjustable tilling depth, up to 5″ offers the versatility to dig for the right planting depth
- Handle folds down for simple and convenient storage and transportation.
- Ideal for small to mid-sized gardens and flowerbeds
- Powerful 6.5-amp motor cultivates up to 14″ wide x 7″ deep
- 4 steel tilling blades for maximum durability and performance
- No gas, oil or tune-ups make it effortless to start and maintain
- ETL approved; Full 2-year warranty
The Dirty Little Secret of Great Gardens
Let’s break ground:
Ideal for starting a new garden or recovering an old lawn, the Sun Joe Tiller Joe TJ600E electric tiller/cultivator combines the performance of a gas-powered machine with the convenience of an electric powered tool.
Power and Performance:
Tiller Joe is lightweight enough to tote around your lawn, yet stills packs a punch with its powerful 6.5-amp motor. Ideal for tilling small to medium gardens and flower beds, the TJ600E can cultivate 14-inches wide and up to 7-inches deep, Tiller Joe’s four steel angled tines efficiently and effortlessly loosen the ground to make planting and dirt removal quick and easy.
Versatile and Easy to Store:
Weighing in at just under 19 pounds, say goodbye to labor-intensive hand tools and unnecessary user strain! The TJ600E features a collapsible handle to fold completely for easy storage. Tiller Joe starts instantly with the push of a button and is completely maintenance free. ETL approved. Full 2-year warranty.
Frequently bought together
- OUTDOOR HEAVY DUTY extension cord, ideal for landscaping, and powering appliances such as a shop vac, weed wacker, bush trimmer, leaf blower and electric lawn mower
- 16 GAUGE, 3-pronged, 100 ft extension cord provides 10 AMP, 1250 watts and 125 volts
- HIGHLY VISIBLE orange jacket provides extra safety and prevents tripping while working in the yard
- WATERPROOF flexible vinyl jacket provides protection of the cord against moisture, abrasion, and sunlight
- DURABLE water-resistant molded plug, socket and reinforced blades to prevent accidental bending or breaking to ensure safety at all time;Total_power outlets :1
- Handle driven cord storage reel
- Holds up to 150ft of 16/3 cord
- Easy carry handle
- Wide base for stability
- Floor standing