How To Buy The Best Chainsaw For Your Needs
The difference between a good chainsaw and the best chainsaw for your specific needs can be significant. We know which factors matter most when deciding which saw is your perfect fit. Chainsaws used to be tools for farmers and loggers. Today, many homeowners are now using them for cutting firewood, felling trees and creating fences. The number of models to choose from has followed the same trend and deciding which chainsaw to buy can be a bit of a challenge.
- Delivers lower fuel consumption
- Reduces exhaust emission levels
- In accordance with the world´s most stringent environmental regulations
- Centrifugal Air Cleaning System
- Removes Larger Dust And Debris Particles From Reaching Air Filter
- Reduces Air Filter Cleanings And Improves Engine Life
- System design reduces vibration levels
- Lessens operator fatigue
Easy to Start
- Combined start/stop switch
- Smart start and fuel pump make the saw very easy to start
Protecting the environment is our priority and mutual concern. Together we have the power to minimize our strain on the environment. Gas chainsaws are all equipped with the unique X-TORQ engine which makes them less fuel consuming and reduces the exhaust emission levels in accordance with the world’s most stringent emissions regulations. Our development never stops. We continually review and improve our line-up to ensure we’re delivering the most efficient chainsaws for professionals and homeowners.
- X-TORQ – Delivers lower fuel consumption and reduced exhaust emission levels in accordance with the world´s most stringent environmental regulations
- AIR INJECTION – Centrifugal air cleaning system removes larger dust and debris particles before reaching the air filter. This results in reduced air filter cleanings and improved engine life
- SMART START – The engine and starter have been designed so the machine starts quickly with minimum effort
- EAST TO START – Combined start/stop switch, Smart Start and fuel pump make the saw very easy to start
- SNAP-LOCK CYLINDER COVER – Saves time when changing spark plugs and cleaning
- POWERFUL ENGINE: High output 46cc 2-cycle gas powered engine delivers steady power to the 20-inch bar and was designed with big jobs in mind.
- COMFORTABLE OPERATION: Equipped with a 5-point anti-vibration system, side-access chain tensioner, and cushion wrap handle for more balance and comfort while operating.
- QUICKSTART TECHNOLOGY: Pull starts are easier with the spring-assisted starting mechanism.
- AUTOMATIC OILER: The adjustable automatic oiler keeps the low-kickback, 0.325-inch pitch chain in quality condition.
- EASY MAINTENANCE: Tool-free access to filter and spark plug.
- CARRY CASE INCLUDED: Heavy-duty case allows easier transportation and storage. Bar and chain oil also included with purchase.
The obvious first question is would I buy it again? The easy quick answer is absolutely!
I bought the saw at the end of July 2017 to replace my similar sized 30 year old Homelite that decided it did not want to run any more. Since then, I’ve used the new Remington about 5 times, about an hour each time. I turn off the saw every time I stop cutting to clear the debris away (I do not let it idle on the ground).
Following the cold-start directions, the saw has started easily each time. Restarting during the job has been one pull (I’ve ignored the manufacturer’s restart steps). The saw cuts well and feels balanced when I use it. It has enough power for what I am using it for. It has easily done everything that I’ve asked it to do.
I am a homeowner with a lot of trees, but I do not burn wood. My chainsaw needs are to clean up storm damage or remove dead trees. The cuts I make are almost always less than 8 inches in diameter, usually in the 2 to 5 inch range.
When I was looking for a small chainsaw, including some of the “famous” chainsaw brands, it was unsettling that virtually every brand had 10% or more one star reviews, including this saw. I decided that the distributions of five stars to one star reviews were essentially the same for the Husqvarna I was looking at and the Remington, so I went for the cheaper price.
By the way, looking at the owner documentation, Remington is made by MTD, which is a large lawn and garden equipment company with many different brands. I was also curious about repair parts. MTD has them on its website, but no one else seems to have Remington parts. It has an Oregon chain easily available, but the Oregon replacement bar uses a different Oregon chain (MTD does offer the original bar).
At the time, I was able to buy the Remington 42cc with 16 inch bar and case, with Michigan sales tax, and a Square Trade 5 year warranty from Amazon for under $150 delivered. Note on the warranty, it is actually for 4 years after the manufacturer’s warranty expires, but they wrongly assumed a one year mfg warranty. Remington has a two year warranty, so, if I need it and the warranty works, I’m actually covered for 6 years. Bottom line, much cheaper saw, with case, and longer warranty than Husqvarna.
Is the saw perfect? Well…
As other reviews said, it leaks chain oil when stored, but no worse than my old Homelite did. I don’t know, maybe all saws leak.
The case is an ugly black cube with a sheath for the blade sticking out. The Homelite case was more contoured and “prettier”. The Remington case has space for spare chains and small bottles of 2cycle oil and chain oil. Some reviews complain about the case, but I think it is just fine.
The cold-start procedure is multi-step, but it is well documented in the owner’s manual and on two separate decals on the saw (one with just pictures, one with text). Best part is, it has worked perfectly first time every time I’ve used it (zero starting problems). The steps are turn on the ignition switch, press the clear rubber primer bulb 10 times, pull out the choke, crank 5 times (even if it tries to start, don’t fiddle with the choke), push the choke in, crank 1-5 more times. Every time, it has started for me on the first or second crank after the choke is back in (open). As I said, restarting during the job, which I do many times, is no steps, just turn the ignition on and one pull.
Speaking of cranking, it is smooth and easy. Much less effort than my Homelite, which was also a small saw.
Here’s my first and only real negative about the saw. I hate the choke. It is a pull/push button like on outboard motors from the 1950’s. No problem when the choke is in (“open”). However, the button feels like it is on a rubber band when you pull it out to close the choke. It wants to return to the in (open) position by itself. It does not like to remain in the “out” position. I keep my fingers crossed that the choke remains closed while I’m doing the first five cranks. Maybe it is designed that way so if the saw starts, the vibration automatically opens the choke.
The other negative I had when I first got the saw was that I thought it was under-powered. It wanted to bog down every time I tried cutting a branch more than 3 inches in diameter. I think the factory had set the chain far too tight and it was binding. I haven’t had this problem since I adjusted the chain.
I do like the clear rubber primer bulb. Since it is clear, you can see the gas and know whether you are trying to start or use a saw that is out of gas.
The saw has an automatic chain oiler, but no manual button to give it extra oil for a big cut (my Homelite had both).
Remington RM5118R Rodeo 51cc 2-Cycle 18-Inch Gas Chainsaw
The Remington RM5118R Rodeo features a powerful 51cc 2-cycle gas engine and 18-inch bar and chain to take on a variety of tree limbs and cutting tasks. It comes equipped with anti-vibration handles to make your work more comfortable. QuickStart technology makes pull starting the Rodeo easier, and the professional-grade crankcase and sprocket ensure years of solid performance. The Rodeo is a heavy duty chainsaw designed to complete big jobs.
Whether you’re trimming tree limbs, cutting firewood or clearing debris after a storm, no cutting task is too tough for the Rodeo chainsaw’s powerful 51cc engine. The 18-inch low-kickback bar and chain, pro-grade crankcase and sprocket help you cut through even hefty trunks with ease. The Rodeo uses a QuickStart technology that makes pull starting the gas powered engine simpler and the anti-vibration handle keeps you comfortable during any cutting task.
The Rodeo comes with an adjustable automatic oiler that provides constant lubrication for consistent use and the electronic ignition provides a reliable start in all conditions This Remington RM5118R Rodeo Chainsaw comes fully assembled and is backed by a 2-year limited warranty.
- This gas chainsaw is ideal for limbing, cutting firewood and cleaning up trees after a storm
- 51cc 2-cycle engine with 18-inch low kickback bar and chain for reliable starts in all conditions equipped with QuickStart technology making pull starts easier
- Front and back anti-vibration handles for comfortable operation
- Durable die-cast chassis and pro-grade crankcase and sprocket
- Includes heavy duty case and bar and chain oil
Cuts like a hot knife through butter
Easy start everytime
Chain stay lubed
Not as heavy as i expected. Several reviews made it sound heavy.
Oil cap like most saws lets you use a screwdriver to open and close it.
Anti vibration is really nice
Cuts trees 24 inches with little hesitation. Elm, oak and locast
Used it for 8 hours and i stopped before it did.
It starts over and over!
I have to take my gloves off or use pliers to remove the gas cap. Not a big deal.
The chain is cheap. I sharpened it three times to keep it cutting over 8 hours of cutting.
The nut fell off first time out, i should have checked it.
Factory renewed to original condition Poulan P3314 gas powered chainsaw is ideal for homeowners looking to do some light cutting jobs around the property. Poulan P3314 is a equipped with a 14-inch steel bar and powered by a 33cc 2-cycle gas engine. This lightweight chainsaw has enough power to cut through any firewood or tree limbs. Pro tip: pushing the safety bar forward to disengage the chain will help start this chainsaw much quicker. Using correct mixture of oil and gas is extremely important with 2 cycle engines. Be sure to carefully read and follow the instruction manual. This Poulan P3314 was refurbished by the manufacturer to the original working condition, but may show signs of use and is guaranteed to meet the performance of a brand new unit! All original accessories (manual, oil) are included. A brand new chain is also included in the box!
- Keep your lawn beautiful and manicured with a 14-inch chainsaw
- Power tool offers power, reliability, and endurance to any tree feller
- 2 Cycle gas powered chain saw
- Engine Type: 33cc 2-cycle Gas
- Gas Mixture: 40:1 Gas/Oil ratio
The WORX 16” 3.5 HP 14.5 Amp chainsaw is a cut above the rest. For starters, the exclusive WORX patented tool-free chain replacement and auto-tensioning system eliminates the headaches faced with most other chainsaws – no lumberjack experience necessary to operate this chainsaw!
The auto-tension system includes a single, oversized knob that automatically secures the bar and chain and maintains proper tension while you’re working. The auto-tensioning system also extends bar and chain life by eliminating any chance of over-tightening. What’s more, all-metal dogs at the base of the 16” bar help add stability during cutting, while an easy-to-lubricate sprocket on the bar nose helps preserve the life of the tool. Powerful enough for your toughest jobs, WORX electric chainsaws produce anywhere from 3.5 peak horsepower. The WORX 16” chainsaw also offers gas-free, hassle-free operation. Different from gas-powered chain saws, this electric chainsaw doesn’t require you to mix oil and gas or deal with difficult startups. And unlike the competition, WORX features an automatic oiler that provides constant lubrication to both the bar and chain along with a 6.75-ounce oil reservoir with an oil level indicator.
Designed for safety and comfort, this WORX chainsaw includes a built-in safety chain brake that stops the chain in seconds whenever improper contact is made, protecting you in the event of kickback. Additionally, a rubber over-molded rear handle and ergonomic full-wrap front handle let you work in full control and comfort.
- 14.5 Amp motor output delivers a cutting performance similar to gas chainsaws for homeowners, farmers, and ranchers
- Patented auto-tension chain system prevents over-tightening; stays at the right tension for hundreds of uses
- Low kickback bar and built-in chain brake for added safety.This model does not include a battery. This is an electric tool. Chain Speed : 12m/s. Rated Voltage : 120V~60Hz
- Automatic oil lubrication and built-in oil reservoir with window level indicator and chain pitch is 3/8 inch, chain gauge is 0.05 inch, oil tank capacity is 200 ml
- Includes 3-year manufacturer’s warranty
- Chain Links – 57
- This Certified Refurbished product is tested and certified to look and work like new. The refurbishing process includes functionality testing, basic cleaning, inspection, and repackaging. The product ships with all relevant accessories, a minimum 90-day warranty, and may arrive in a generic box. Only select sellers who maintain a high performance bar may offer Certified Refurbished products on Amazon.com.
- Cycle gas powered chain saw and Engine Type: 42cc 2-cycle Gas
- Convenient Carrying Case
- Power tool offers power, reliability, and endurance to any tree feller
- Keep your lawn beautiful and manicured with a 18-inch chainsaw.