Whenever you have intricate patterns and curves to cut, a Best jigsaw is going to be your “go-to” tool. The smaller construction of the jigsaw lends itself to being excellent for using it for those more precise and smaller cuts that some projects call for. Although it can often be associated for more of an artsy type of tool, the power and versatility of these tools make them great choices for all types of construction projects.
The PORTER-CABLE PCE345 6 amp Orbital Jig Saw is designed with a 7 position speed dial (0-3200 rpm) integrated into the trigger which provides multiple speed settings for optimal cutting results. The 6 Amp motor delivers more power in demanding applications, and the 4 orbital settings provide best cutting performance in a variety of materials. It offers a lock-on button that provides easier control during prolonged use, and help to diminish user fatique, along with an oversized front and handle overmold that provide greater control and comfort during use. This jig saw also offers tool-free blade change to make blade replacements fast and easy and minimize down time.
- 7 position speed dial integrated in the trigger
- 6 amp motor for more power
- 4 orbital settings for a variety of materials
- Lock-on button for prolonged use
- This jig saw takes T shank blade
- Tool free blade change
1. First, this one is as powerful as my commercial rated skill was. Both have 5 Amp motors. That being said, they also both have variable speed from 0 to 3000 SPM. The only difference between the two is that the skill had the ability to limit the trigger to different speeds while this Black and Decker unit depends upon you to stop squeezing when you get to the speed you want.
2. The Black and Decker unit is much more comfortable to grip over a long period of time. The handle provides some absorption of the saw while the Skill unit did not.
3. The quick release on this for inserting blades is GREAT!!!
4. The bevel plate adjustment is about the same between the two except for two things:
A. The Black and Decker unit uses a slot/Philips screw while the Skill uses an Allen screw. If you are going to do any amount of changing of that plate, you will want to get rid of that slot/philips screw and use an Allen. The reason is that the slot/philips screw will get its head messed up quickly making for poor adjustments while the Allen will take a lot of abuse.
B. The plate on the Black and Decker unit is larger than that of the Skill unit which makes it easier to use.
5. The large dial adjustment for the blade is easier to use than the lever for the same adjustment on the Skill unit.
6. The wire protective cage makes the saw safer and allows for easy sight of the line that you are cutting.
All in all
This is an exceptional tool for home use!! It may not be suitable for commercial use, but then again, it may. So far I am very pleased with the saw and I would highly recommend it.
- Curve Control technology which allows you to adjust the saw’s orbit in 1 of 4 customized settings
- 5 Amp variable-speed motor; up to 3,000 SPM of cutting power
- Can make 45 degree bevel cuts; with adjustable shoe for stability
- New and improved Wire Guard
- Dust blower
- New and improved Wire Guard for more precise cuts
- Keyless blade clamp for tool-free blade change
Since 1910, Black & Decker has been setting the standard for innovation and design of power tools, accessories, outdoor yard care equipment, home cleaning products, automotive and lighting products, hardware, and other home improvement products. The inventor of the first portable electric drill with pistol grip and trigger switch, Black & Decker has evolved from a small machine shop in Baltimore, Maryland to a global manufacturing and marketing powerhouse with a broad line of quality products used in and around the home and for commercial applications.
I’ll preface my review to say that I am not a professional woodworker. Actually, I’m not at all familiar with wood or the way to cut it. What I am is terrified of fast moving blades. I prefer to use a handsaw, pausing occasionally to question my motives for the project at hand. Most of my projects are small and involve things like modifying IKEA furniture and including the occasional use of phrases like “I thought I measured that”. Now enter the Black & Decker Jig Saw. This small tool removes much of the fear I experience when using a circular saw while at the same time giving me very accurate and quick cuts. I recently used it to modify a cabinet for creating cut-outs to install small exhaust fans and temperature sensors. There seriously is nothing complicated about using this little saw. It also made quick work of cutting through a few 2×12’s that I inaccurately measured. My only word of advise would be if using it indoors be aware of the amount of sawdust it can create. My wife was not at all happy with sawdust all over the basement carpet.
The saw works exactly as I was expecting. The two included blades were great to get me started. Additionally, the blade storage slot is very convenient. The only downside is it is a little difficult to pull out; however, that is probably so that it does not slide out during use.
I was glad that the saw came with a laser guide, although after my first few cuts I learned it does not help me for my situations. It may be useful if you are cutting in a straight line. I found the laser made it difficult to follow the light I had drawn. This is by no means a deal breaker.
I am very happy I did not purchase any of the more expensive models that I researched, as this saw works really well and had a fair price. I would definitely recommend this to any beginner or more experienced woodworker.This is a great jigsaw. I have never used any type of power saw before and I had a laminate flooring project that needed a power saw to cut the boards down to size. This saw is easy to use, especially with the laser light to guide where to cut. I even used the saw to make some 45 degree angle cuts for baseboard molding.
- Powerful 6.0 Amp motor
- Built-in laser guide for accurate straight cuts
- 4-position orbital cut control for fast or smooth cuts
- Variable speed trigger adjusts speed to cut
- Custom molded tool rest design to prevent blade from damaging material
Rockwell BladeRunner X2 Portable Tabletop Saw with Steel Rip Fence, Miter Gauge, and 7 Accessories – RK7323
This is a fantastic, portable multi-purpose saw table. While it’s obviously not a real table saw with a circular blade and doesn’t have the advantages and total accuracy of a true table saw, it is far safer and infinitely more portable.
Despite some complaints from other users, I have found it quite easy to make straight, accurate cuts. The fence and mitre both work well when properly set and used. I wrapped my mitre slide with a little bit of masking tape to reduce slop, and find it best to clamp the workpiece to the mitre to further reduce chatter and slop. When utilizing proper technique and quality blades–I recommend Festool brand–tear-out is non-existent and I get highly accurate cuts. I was able to reduce a 5/8″x5.5″x6′ cedar fence board into a birdhouse in about 5 minutes of total cut time–made a great gift for my mother! I haven’t given it much of a run as a scroll/jig saw, but I did a couple of free-hand curved cuts just for kicks and was able to get pretty decent results.
I have also experimented with cutting a nominal pine 2″x4″ (actual about 1.5″x3.5″) and had no problems making the cut with a little patience. I haven’t had the opportunity nor the need to try cutting metal, tile, or laminate but with quality blades I’m sure those would cut just fine.
- Portable tabletop saw sets up in seconds to cut wood, metal, tile, aluminum and plastic – performs rip, scroll, miter, and inside cuts
- Compact and portable with built-in tabletop handle to carry anywhere – weighs in at less than 15 pounds. No-Load Speed – 3000/minute
- Hold-down guard and splitter cuts wider material, and a larger rip fence for better control and a nice, accurate cut
- Instant, tool-free blade changes; change the blade in 3 seconds – compatible with any 4″ t-shank jigsaw blades
- Includes a vacuum port, a large steel rip fence, miter gauge, 5-piece starter blade set and manufacturer’s 3-year warranty.Stroke Length:3/4 inches